The technology industry moves so fast, with constant changes such as various SE animal updates, snazzy new software and constant stream of beta products. Yesterday, something caused me to reflect on my current surroundings…
While in a client meeting, deep in the midst of discussions on bespoke CMS development, structural planning and database manipulations, something really hit me. I was surrounded by 3 women who each, in their own right, brought a skill and sense of brilliance to the meeting. Every word spoken was keenly heard by the others sitting around the table, all of us intently piecing together each part of the discussion. This marked a real reflection point in my professional career so far and was something I was very proud to be involved in; a truly intelligent collaboration and an obvious respect for knowledge with aspiring females in the digital industry.
While completing university, following my chosen career path, I always had goals and a vision to ensure I was propelling myself forward as much as possible. As much as I relished in the course content and made some great friends, I was constantly reminded of the lack of women in digital and computer-related degrees in general. The university course comprised of around 90% men, leaving only 10% women.
I have personally had a great passion for technology from a young age, yet have come across snap judgments made on the basis that I am female. Working at PC World, customers would be more inclined to ask male advisors for help, even though I was every bit as qualified to advise them. I’m really proud to see the industry changing, and sitting in a boardroom surrounded by professional females discussing in depth technological customisations is exactly where I want to be.
I should be clear, this is by no means a post to oppress or detract from men in any way; over the years I have worked with many great male role models and colleagues, some of whom have overwhelmed me with their knowledge. Some of my greatest achievements have been from collaborations with both men and women. However, this most certainly is a shout out to all the women working their way up and following their passions, regardless of any preconceived notions.
I’d really like to hear about any experiences others have had…
Want to know more?